Kayt, Mike & Zoe McCuaig.JPG

Kayt’s Surprise Breech Baby

We had a whirlwind birthing experience.

I had two days of irregular pressure waves starting on Wednesday the 21st. We thought things were starting to move Wednesday night however, things slowed down again on Thursday morning. Over the two days I did a lot of knitting. On Thursday I stared leaking amniotic fluid around four o’clock. However, I wasn’t dilating quickly so we continued to wait. On Friday morning my pressure waves became more regular but still not strong or steady enough to go in the Lucina.

At 2:30 pm our midwife wanted to do a non-stress test as I had been leaking amniotic fluid for a day and then give me the recipe for the castor oil concoction to see if we could get things moving. We went into Lucina and Zoë was very happy where she was and I was 2 cm dilated.

We then came home and I drank the castor oil around 4 pm. At 6 pm my water broke and we called our midwife. She came over at 6:30 pm and I was 4 cm dilated. She decided we should head into Lucina. I was having a hard time leaving the house. But we finally got me loaded into the car around 7 pm.

We arrived at the birth centre at 7:15 pm and I wanted to be on the toilet. I had a couple of pressure waves there and then my midwife wanted to see how far along I was. We got me on the bed and I was fully dilated. We started to run the bath.

Once in the bath my pressure waves were very strong and we started pushing. Once I started pushing there was meconium in the water. Our midwife realized that I was having a surprise breech baby but she wanted to double check. We then got me out of the tub and onto the bed. We confirmed that Zoë was breech. Then we had to decide if we were going to head to the hospital or if I wanted EMS on standby. I decided I wanted EMS on standby. Within a few minutes they were there. Our midwife decided we would get me to the hospital this was at 7:55 pm. They loaded me up into the ambulance and I was told not to push as they did not want me to have the baby in the ambulance.

We arrived at the hospital at 8 pm. They got me into the room and she was already well on her way. Her body came very easily however, her head got stuck and at this point I am in a room with about 5 nurses, 3 midwives, Mike, my mother and a doctor all telling me to push as they get forceps. But I was able to push her head out before they had to use them.

Zoë Aurora Côté was born at 8:17 pm on September 23rd, she weighed 5 lbs 10 oz and was 18 inches long. I had about an hour and a half of active labour.

It was not at all what we had planned, however, it was a beautiful experience. A little overwhelming at moments, but we had a very smooth natural birth. Because her head got stuck I was not able to hold her right after. They had to get her breathing and she had a dislocated hip.

The birth itself was not scary. The scariest moment was waiting for her to breath. I only ended up with two stitches. She latched on right away and both of us are healthy and happy. As my birthing was so fast we were only able to use the early tracks and the main music track. Once we were at the hospital things moved very quickly and we weren’t able to get any hypnosis tracks going. I felt very calm and aware of what was happening the whole time and I was very happy to have had the knowledge that I had going into having a breech birth.

It was not my ideal birth but all in all it was a good experience. We had great hospital staff and our midwife was amazing. I couldn’t have asked for a better outcome for a surprise situation.

~Kayt & Mike~

Zoe McCuaig.JPG
Zoe McCuaig1.JPG